As you know, we try to buy as close to exclusively Organic here at the Regal Vegan. Yes, the cost is many times what conventional produce costs, but the benefits are many as far as I am concerned. My goal is to provide customers with the freshest, healthiest, tastiest food. Buying Organic is not only a way to keep toxic pesticides and poor soil practices off of your plate, it is also a way to get the most taste out of every radish, sprout, potato and tomato. So buying Organic is win-win to me. But here’s a great list of other reasons to buy Organic, since the big Agri-businesses seem to have found some research that suggests the nutritional value is the same. While I beg to differ, I am willing to listen. Enjoy the week of food. We are closed for the next two weeks so my friends, please: eat well, be well and stay well!
Top 10 Benefits of Eating Organic
1. Waterways aren’t contaminated by chemical run-off from farms.
2. Pesticide-related health risks to farm workers (and anyone living in the area) are eliminated.
3. You will dramatically reduce the amount of pesticide residue you ingest on a daily basis. Pesticides ingested by pregnant women may be linked to birth defects and health issues.
4. Biodiversity is increased with the use of buffer crops, and by avoiding killing or harming insects and other wildlife that is not a threat to crops.
5. Pesticides are responsible for a staggering amount of greenhouse gas emissions.
6. You can avoid eating any genetically modified foods.
7. Reduced reliance on chemical and agri-engineering corporations is good for farmers.
8. Organic farming is healthier for the soil.
9. Organic dairy cows are not injected with milk-boosting hormones such as recombinant bovine somatotrophin (rBST)—which may increase insulin levels in humans.
10. Organics taste better. It’s just my humble opinion, but I’ve noticed a difference in the taste of strawberries, peaches, grapes and leafy greens, so if you’re still skeptical, I dare you to put your faith in conventionally grown foods to the test.
With love, respect and other nutrients,